Public health may be defined as the science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health and efficiency through organized community efforts for the:
- Sanitation of the environment
- Control of communicable diseases
- Education of the individual in personal hygiene
- Organization of the medical and nursing services for early diagnosis and medical treatment of diseases
- Development of social machinery to ensure for every individual a standard of living adequate for the maintenance of health.
See the presentation below for details.